Wednesday 5 December 2007

Why my name`s "Windy"


Hi to everyone who visits my blog. I guess the first thing that those who don`t know me is why im called "Windy" (No its nothing to do with rear gas exhaust) One of my passions in life is my boat and with a group of great friends I have spent many a happy days sailing with them. On this occasion we had just spent a great week away sailing the Lancaster canal up to the upper reaches to Tewitfield. It was on the way back and had just sailed through Lancaster and as I approached bridge number 96. I heard a really nasty crunchy sound coming from under the boat as she stopped suddenly. At that stage the engine made some really awful noises and I thought that the gear box had packed in. I turned the engine off so no further damage would be done. I then heard more crunchy noises coming from under the boat. My first thought was that I had hit a iron girder some one had thrown into the canal. I was on to the two way radio in a flash shouting "May Day….. May Day" as I feared the worst and was sinking. O my god im going to drown. I then heard yet more crunchy noises and realised that the boat was spinning around in the strong wind. Is this the end of my life ? The wind blew stronger and the boat spun faster as I went around and around. It was then I heard Dr Death (a good friend of mine)shouting out to me.” Grab the rope, when I throw it out to you and ill pull you in” “YES …OK ….hurry im sinking”. As Dr Death threw the rope out I realised that it was about a mile short. And then panic set in. Just then to my horror the boat gave another big crunch and I was free. The boat was now being blown down the canal still spinning around and around and I was getting quite dizzy after a few hundred feet I managed to start the engine up and got her back on course. A big sigh of relief was heard for miles I was ALIVE. As I passed the place where I came to a sudden stop I could see a very large rock that I had run aground on. Oh well another episode in my life I guess. When I moored up for the evening and the story was told to all my sailing friends by Dr Death…..The name “Windy” was born. That name stuck so well I was forced to rename my boat to “Windy” so if you see me sailing up the Lancaster canal just give me a wave…..and shout.....”hey Windy” ..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Windy Miller ... Windy Bag .... it's all the same to me

dr death said...

wonderful piece of prose windy