Thursday 3 January 2008

Fine Wine


Up early again for a 2 hour drive into the wine area of the Western Cape. The clouds hung heavy with a real threat of rain but that did not dampen our sprits. Once again driving through some of the most beautiful parts of South Africa surrounded by mountains. As we approached the wine valley it came quite appropriate the vast size of the wine making industrial in South Africa. There were wineries all over the palace many with famous name as you and I know of which we can buy there products in our local super markets. The winery we stopped at was called Robertson Winery who produce wines under the trade mark of Van Lovern wines. After a long drive up there dusty drive way we came to the car park surrounded in a beautiful garden full of kinds of flowers and roses. It was only later that I learnt that the reason why all wineries have so many roses is to keep the bugs of the vines. As we walked through the gardens we came up onto a large opening with table and chairs so we took the weight off our feet for a while. A waitress approached us and handed out a full wine list and asked us which ones would we like to taste sample ….taste as many as you like…..!!! Yeah did I just die and go to wine heaven !!!. “Well could I try this and can I try that” A few moments later she came back with 3 bottles of the wine I had chose and a large bottle of water …plus a large kind of bowl with the idea that you first taste the wine and then empty the remainder in your glass into the bowl and then swill your glass with water and also empty that into the bowel before the next tasting. Hmmmm the taste of the wines were the finest I have tasted for a long time. This waitress must have been keeping a eye on me as no sooner had I finished tasting the last bottle of fine wine was she back again. “What would you like to try now sir ?“ Oh boy I like this. Once again I chose another 3 bottles of what I fancied. This vent on for aa goood hour unfill I have had enough (hic) sloshly we got to leave and then windy`s world vase spinning around and around. Hic hic zzzzzzzz. zzzzzzz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hyacinth says ........

"Would kind sir like to bring madam a bottle or two please" .... sounds like heaven !

Windy said...

Is that a bottle or two or does madam mean a crates or two

Anonymous said...

You know Hyacinth, Windy - if it's wet and gets her singing, then anything in a bottle will do.

But if a box or a crate are easier to carry, she'll not complain !

Gadget