Tuesday 1 January 2008

Great White Shark


Hi everyone its time to update the blog again. Hope you all had a great new year. Its been a very busy week seeing and doing lots of things. As most of you know my highlight of my trip was to go cage diving with the great white sharks. Well at long the wait was over. My broo and myself left at 5.15 am as we had a two hour drive to Shark Bay and needed to be there for breakfast at 7.15. We arrived on time and drove down to the beach from the main road to find a little town full of shark fever. There were quite a number of boats making preparations to sail out. We reported to SHARK LADY and promptly had our breakfast and was introduced to the other people who we were to share the experience with. They were from all over the world. Americans, German, Australian, South African and little old me from the UK After breakfast we were taken outside and given a safety instructions on what to do and what not to do which were quite in depth. We were then ask to sign a indemnity form. It was only then that I released how dangerous this was going to be. So with 3 crew and 12 passengers on board we set off on the twin engine outboard motor boat. It was partly a cloudy morning and the sea had about a ten foot swell as we raced out into Shark Bay. After proximally 20 mins we dropped anchor. The crew then threw in the bait on the end of a short length of rope and also some blood like ground bait to attract the great whites. Once again we were given final safety instructions. I was then told that because of my health problem with my hip that I would be unable to get in and out of the cage. Not to disappointed as the water was really cold I was told I could go up to the upper deck as I would have a great view from there. All eyes were searching the water for the sight of the first great white. After a short period the captain shouted out !! Shark Shark !! and the cage was lowered into the water. From where I was viewing I could see this dark mass approaching the bait a few feet from the boat. Up came the shark and rolled over sideways to show his white belly and his “JAWS” wide open to take the bait…..!!!! what a sight to see….ohh my god the size of that mouth.
It kept swimming around for a while and then disappeared into the dark depth of the ocean. We did not have to wait long for another shark to show up and once again gave us all a thrill as it kept swimming and turning as it took the bait. After around 3 hours and a few more sharks spotting it was almost time to return to shore. I came down to the lower deck and just stood at the ready watching the water Just then the captain cried out !!! Shark Shark !!! and told the people who were sitting on top of the cage to get in. One young girl was either deaf or did not hear the shout for her to duly get in the cage. The shark made a lurch for the top of the cage and as his head broke water and his mouth wide open. At this point the young girl fell into the cage and the shark turned and with its tail hit the boat. I stood there drowned from head to foot with amount of water the shark flipped over into the boat, still holding my video camera and wondering if I had caught the scene on tape…..but im sadly to report that I had not. The young girl did not need telling off by the look on her face when she got out of the cage. There is no doubt in my mind how dangerous this great white shark is. It is a wonderful creature in its own environment. A truly great experience I would not have missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need to be a bit careful here old chap _ I can't help wondering if the shark was after your sausages for his breakfast !!

Cee ya !

Gadget

Windy said...

!!! Yeah touch my sausages and see what happens !!!!!

Black Purl said...

Sorry you didn't make it into the cage. Sounds like it was pretty exciting anyway. Good thing your sausages are safe!

Anonymous said...

Don't think they're very big sausages.

G